Denise’s getting married checklist
Please telephone me (02 9564 6165) directly to discuss these processes in greater detail.
- Secure the best celebrant you can – what this person brings to your ceremony is more important than you may realise.
- Secure venue and other elements of the ceremony.
- Ensure you have adequate personal identification for both parties; birth certificates are preferable.
- If divorced or widowed, source appropriate certificates.
- If under 18 years of age, check with your celebrant or Attorney General’s department as to required procedures.
- Lodge your Notice of Intended Marriage with a celebrant at least one month and one day prior to date of ceremony. (note – Notice can be transferred to another celebrant at any stage and the ceremony must take place within 18 months of lodgement).
- Consider pre-marriage education program.
- Create your ceremony with the assistance of your celebrant (consider vows, readings, poetry, rituals).
- Have at least two face-to-face meetings with your celebrant (if possible). The first should take place as early as possible, in line with choosing/appointing your celebrant. The second should be quite close to the ceremony date (e.g. a few days beforehand).
- Consider the benefits of a rehearsal.
- If required, apply for your registered marriage certificate following the wedding through NSW Births, Deaths & Marriages. Alternatively, ask you Celebrant to do this on your behalf.
- Note: The certificate presented to you by your celebrant on the day is chiefly commemorative. You may require the official one for change of name or other legal purposes.
Useful links and downloads
- application for a birth certificate (NSW)
- notice of intended marriage – form 13
- relationship ed_support organisations
- Denise’s “Getting Married” checklist
- application for a marriage certificate (NSW)
- Marriage Act 1961
- Marriage Regulations 1963
- Code of Practice for Marriage Celebrants
- Commonwealth Attorney-General’s Department – Marriage
- NSW Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages – Marriages
- NSW Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages – Births
Relationship Education and Guidance sites
- Family Relationships Online
- Relationships Australia
- Catholic Welfare
- Catholic Care Family Services
- The Marion Street Practice
- Clear Day Consulting
- Associated Marriage & Relationship Counsellors Sydney – Receive 10% OFF Pre-Marriage Counselling (up to 6 sessions) – only if you mention this website and offer when you make a booking. Specialist marriage, couple and relationship counselling services in the Sydney CBD, Glebe, Bondi Junction, Surry Hills and on the Central Coast.
- Thomas Gallane Photography
- embryo – exclusive bridal and evening
- Eryldene Historic House and Garden, Gordon